top of page
  • clivenmel

Nov 10th

Normal 0 false false false /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} Nothing very exciting to report I am afraid.  We are still in Market Drayton!  Well, its nice here and as we are biding our time waiting for the stoppages to reopen there is absolutely no rush, mind you we should really have moved a bit, we are in a 48 hour maximum visitor mooring and we have been here since Friday � oops!  Oh well, nobody has come to tell us to move yet.    We were going to set off today but we went shopping to Morrison�s this morning and it is quite a long walk as it�s on the other side of Market Drayton.  So by the time we had got back, unloaded the shopping, had lunch etc etc � basically we just couldn�t be bothered!  So we have promised ourselves we will definitely set off tomorrow and saunter down through a few locks and find somewhere pretty to moor up � hopefully with a better TV signal than the one we have here!!  Still never mind, we bought the new Indiana Jones DVD today so we can watch that tonight!   Clive spent the afternoon reading and I have been mending my dragon!  You will remember no doubt that soon after we left Huddersfield we had to start using the hand spike operated locks and as I was a total novice with this type of operation the first one gave the boat a bit of a bashing and my poor dragon was found on the floor in bits.  The ironic thing was that he was the only casualty in the move from the house to the boat, when we unpacked him one of his wings had broken off and can you believe it I had only bought the superglue the day before he decided to fly off his shelf and smash himself to smithereens on the floor!  Anyway I couldn�t bear to throw him away and lovingly packed all the bits in a Tupperware box, where they have been ever since.  Today, as I had nothing else to do I decided to put him back together.  Although he is a bit battle-scarred I am quite pleased with the result.  He just needs a little bit of touching up as there are few tiny chips - I will have to get Clive's paints out I think!   We had a pleasant surprise yesterday afternoon � a kingfisher landed on the bow rope of the boat moored opposite to us.   It sat there for quite a while, but not quite long enough for me to get a photograph.  We are not sure if it was the same bird that had visited us so often whilst we were moored in the marina � if we had managed to get a photo we might have been able to tell as our previous visitor had a white dot on her beak.  I say her because we have now discovered how to distinguish the male from the female, the female has orange on her lower beak.  So I was quite mistaken in calling her a him!   We had a bit of wild weather last night!  It was very windy and very wet, at one point it was hailing � which is quite noisy on a narrowboat!  However today has been quite calm and mainly dry.  I wonder what tomorrow will bring�����?

0 views0 comments


bottom of page